Benefits of Living Off The Grid
Benefits of Living Off The Grid
To listen to today's podcast click the play button below. We post a new podcast every Sunday by 3:00 PM MT.
Season 1 Episode 33
Mother Natures Mountain
Flower is a medicine women that share her all nature products with people in the Vermont area. She will soon be setting up a website so that she can share her holistic living with people from all over the United States. She is a environmentally couscous entrepreneur. She says that when she is looking for flowers, herbs and other things she finds in nature that she will only take what she needs and leaves some so that it can continue to grow and survive. Flower also share how she lives off grid comfortably in the mountains of Vermont.
You can visit Mother Natures Mountain at her Facebook page here or on Instagram @mothernaturesmountain
What is Off Grid Living?
Off grid living is when a person chooses to live outside the city and use power generated themselves. A person who is living off grid would use a fireplace to warm their home verse a electrical heater. Living off grid would also require a person to carry in their own water, use spring water or drill a well. City water is typically not used in off grid living. Off grid people will sometimes use a generator or solar electricity. Basically, a person living off grid is choosing to live a self sufficient life that does require the resources from a near by city for water and electricity. It truly is amazing how comfortably people can live even when choosing to live off grid.
Benefits of Living Off Grid
There are many benefits to living off grid. The first reasons I would personally consider going off the grid are financial freedom, closer to nature, clean air and water, and you can farm as you please. We are currently living in the suburbs so it is hard to imagine life off grid we can't even have chickens here. But there are many benefits to living off the grid. You would be able to see the stars at night (we literally can barely see them). Also the noise is constant here in the suburbs. Whether is is traffic, electrical appliances, or neighbors, we can hear it all.
- More Time For People and Activities That Bring You Life - Living off grid gives those who choose that path more time. We don't need to sit in traffic to get from one side of the field to the other. We don't need to sit in front of a television and numb ourselves to the hectic and chaotic life that we live in. If you think about how much time and energy is wasted everyday of your smart phone and waiting in lines you would be floored.
- Spend Time With People You Love- Yes, the good ol' saying of love is powerful is true. When you love your husband or wife and kids you will do anything to be with them more often. As parents we want to be there for our children as they grow up. We love spending time with each other that we have choose to live this traditional life. Mainly, we choose this path so that we can spend more quality time together and out in nature. How many wives out there would want to have more time with their husbands? I sure know of a lot!
- Relax and Enjoy Nature -People who live in cities and work in offices will bring in photos of nature and house plants to lighten the mood. Just imagine being about to walk out your front door into a open field with a garden and trees. We all are human and humans are naturally attracted to living in their natural environment, the great outdoors. We were not made to live in dirt cities, it just so.
- Create Brain Space- We all have a limited amount of brain space. We have things to remember and things we need to do each day. When you take yourself out of a stressful environment where you are walking on egg shells you can free up some of that needed brain space and use it on what ever you want. Learn a new hobby or skill. Enjoy getting good at nature photography or creating YouTube videos to document and share your journey with others. Whatever you use that important brain space on I am sure it will be much more pleasurable that what it was used for in the city.
- Debt Free Living- Could you imagine having no house and car payment? It is 100% to live debt free as a homesteader. You can live debt free in the city but it would be a lot harder! There are so many restaurants and stores you can visit and spend your hard earned money on in a city. Plus, a lot of people are just unhappy in the city so they use the modern conveniences such as fast food as a necessity.
There are are main benefits that I can think of for living off the grid. Our perspective is that if you work the land the land will reward you. The bible says "He who tills his land will have plenty of food, But he who follows empty pursuits will have poverty in plenty." (Proverbs 28:19)
Bible Verse About Working The Land
- "Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it." (Genesis 2:15)
- "He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, But he who pursues worthless things lacks sense." (Proverbs 12:11)
Sustainable Garden Practices
As a gardener we are growing food and plants that ca be used to make our bodies stronger and healthier. There are somethings that you can consider when growing
- Compost Your Waste- You can compost the uneaten veggies, fruits from your kitchen. You could also feed them to your chickens and other animals and their waste many be used in your garden.
- Save Your Seeds- It is so easy to save seeds from the fruits and vegetables after you harvest them. Here is a article from the University of Minnesota about saving seeds from your garden. Saving Seeds From Your Garden
- Ditch The Poison- As a organic gardener you do not need to use plant killers like round up on your garden. It is just not good for you or the environment. The poison will leak into the ground and contaminate the ground water and your air quality. As a homesteader you will have more time than money so it would be better and less expensive to take care of the weeds by pulling them by hand.
For more awesome information about sustainable gardening ideas visit Yard Yum.
It was such a pleasure to speak with Flower. She is living a close to nature life that she loves. I hope we inspired you today to think about gardening, unplugging from modern society a bit and getting outdoors. Until next time friend.
Do you want a sample of Young Living Thieves oil? Send me a text message at 623-332-6482. I look foward to hearing from you.